Today, many adults would love to straighten their teeth but feel they are too old for treatment. Yet, their teeth make them feel uncomfortable and self-conscious. Clear aligners for adults is a welcome orthodontic treatment when it comes to straightening teeth. Unlike the stigma of wearing braces in some adults, clear aligners are discreet and comfortable.
If you are debating on the choice of an orthodontic method to align and treat bite issues, then weigh these pros and cons of clear aligners against other treatment options.
Benefits of Clear Aligners
- Orthodontists use a 3D image creation of your teeth from photos, x-rays, and impressions to configure the aligner. This effective technique helps to take in all of your dental details, helping the aligner trays fit perfectly in your teeth and gums.
- The aligner is barely visible, even to you! This helps patients who feel self-conscious. With their precise creation, clear aligners are not harsh on your gums and teeth, and you will not even notice you are wearing them.
- Each aligner’s design is created at the onset of the treatment plan. Your Roanoke orthodontist will let you know how many aligners you will go through, and the period the treatment will take in achieving the expected results.
- When you want to eat or drink, the aligners are removable, so you can eat whatever you’d like without restraint. Patients do not need to worry about food sticking to them or build-up.
- Clear aligners are easy to clean, and you can brush and floss your teeth with ease. These enable you to maintain your oral hygiene routine that you prided yourself in before starting aligners.
- With aligners, you will visit the orthodontist fewer times than with braces, and that is only when you are picking new aligner trays.
- Invisalign treatment takes less time than braces–as long as you strictly follow the guidelines. It’s recommendable to wear the aligners around 20-22 hours a day. Depending on the severity of the dental issue, the aligner treatment is usually 6- 20 months, while braces take over 20-36 months.
Things to Keep in Mind with Clear Aligners
- Clear aligners are meant to be removed only while eating and drinking (water excluded). After eating, you will need to brush your teeth in order to keep your aligners clean. On the other hand, this is also a way to curb snacking, so it goes both ways.
- Clear aligners may not be an option for severe orthodontic treatment. Rather, braces may be in order, depending on the severity of the case.
- You will need a lot of discipline when wearing clear aligners. If you do not follow the guidelines and delay changing your trays, you may need added aligners to finish the process.
- Clear aligners are made to be removable. While this is great in terms of eating, sports, theater, and other practical uses, it’s also easy to lose them. Another set of aligners will affect your budget, and might also alter your treatment plan.
To find out if you are a candidate for clear aligner treatment, schedule an appointment with us online. We use state-of-the-art technology and prescribe a treatment plan tailored to you. Adults who would love to achieve rewarding results have the option to correct their teeth without metal braces.
Clear aligners work quickly. If you’re a busy adult who wants treatment with an aesthetic appeal, then this is the option for you.